Monday, July 13, 2015

Is there a Jim Beaver afterglow?


 Today I must hold my head up high despite the fact that a 64 year old furry face gets much better ratings than my fuzzy butt. Ha!
While being slightly annoyed by this revelation, I can't help but hop aboard the Jumble Jim express myself. 
The fans, being slightly hysterical themselves, are attached to him, like a pit bull to a bone, sinking their teeth into a "Supernatural" steak. I was only recently able to pry one loose for questioning to find out what the buzz was all about. 
Her name is Charlie and she's middle aged with two teenagers. 
She is also crazy about a very popular Japanese celebrity making it difficult for me to pin down the demographics of the main fan base. 
Although Charlie is not the kind of fan I expected, her personality encapsulates the heart of those swarming women you find at the comic conventions and on the Internet.
They are bold, eager, and bright, slightly edgy, yet feminine.
The most admirable quality about them though is their dedication. 
I asked Charlie how she felt when Jim's character, Bobby was killed off in season 7 of Supernatural. 
" I refused to believe it!" She said, as if her own father had died, " I didn't want to believe they would do such a thing." 
Many fans agreed saying that Bobby was the center of this long running TV show. He was the place that everyone came back to and it felt like home, it just felt safe.  I speculate, that without Bobby, the show has lost some of it's conscious, it's humanity. I have only seen a few episodes myself, but, Bobby struck me as having the type of lap I just wanted to curl up in and fall asleep. He was a warm comfortable spot with a few bumps that needed softening. 
 Thank Zeus, to ease the absence of Bobby Singer, the writers had his spirit lingering about for future episodes. 
The big question though, is he really dead this time?

But, that is Bobby. Jim Beaver is the man who is so much more than one character. 
" Do you think Jim is at all like Bobby?", I ask Charlie, who I know is old enough to know better. Charlie catches herself before speaking, knowing I am trying to trap her, "Well, I suppose we are all bits and pieces of things, so, sure.... I suppose some of Bobby does live in him." Charlie suddenly jumps. " Oh wait, I've talked to him!" "You have?", I asked, "What did you think?", Charlie is gushing even in text, " He's sweet.." 

Still, I don't feel my question is answered, Why Jim, I wonder? 
How does a handsome, but seemingly, ordinary looking man who is about to turn 65 next month, become a chick magnet? 
I asked Charlie once more before she had to go pick up the kids that day, " Why do you think Jim is so attractive to other women?" 
" Well, maybe because he is a single father and women want to take care of him....", she hesitates, " or maybe the other way around..." 
I understood.
I had Daddy issues, and although I am not a Spring chicken myself, I liked the idea of having an older man around. 
Jim is rock solid with his dedication to his talented, 13 year old daughter though, and that just makes the fans adore him all the more.
He is like the anchor in a stormy sea, an ocean of love.

  I am becoming less and less immune to his charms. The charm that  is Jim, mysterious and unwavering. 
 I try to pretend he is just one, of many, many, actors I have known in my 39 years of public (boot licking) relations, but, he is not. 
He pushes every button on me, above and below, the belt.
He makes me feel like an Idjit for waiting outside of Theatre West for six days for an unscheduled interview. 
He makes me realize how little I know, inside and outside of the business. He gives me a target to reach for. 
He makes me want to be a better woman.
In my dreams I am.
by the way, he is a frequent visitor in my sleep these days, but, what goes on between the sheets is just between Jim and I.
Get your own Bobby doll. Ha!




8 comments:

  1. Great piece! That's my Bobby Singer doll at the end. It was pretty fun to see it in my Facebook feed when Jim shared the article! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My! That is your doll?! I Love it!! I am so sorry as it is very hard to ask permission to use a photo these days~ I am so glad you are okay about it, as it was a perfect way to end the article! hee..hee I do hope you still make them! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! People can find me at wonderann.etsy.com if they are interested! :) I am also WS_AnnD on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I should consider really getting one! hee..hee.. Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a listing, since I realized I didn't have one up currently. Whoops! (When I get overloaded, I sometimes pull down listings because my two little hands can't keep up!)

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/240414407/bobby-singer-supernatural-stuffie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good! I also put you up on my Facebook and Twitter pages..if you don't mind? These are quite the little gems! All the best to you, Ann!

    ReplyDelete