Saturday, July 18, 2015

What would you think if I sang out of tune, would you stand up and walk out on me?

             

Oh, the injustice! There are people out there needling me because I want to, at last, take singing lessons. 
Okay, okay, to be fair, it does seem a bit implausible ~ a deaf person singing?! Crikey, what was I thinking?!
It's true, I abhor social gatherings, crowds, bars, and comedy clubs. 
I make a complete eejit out of myself in most venues, especially since my eyesight is failing me as well! I often go places and attempt to disguise myself as poorly applied wallpaper or hide under the coffee table with the dog. I have learned over the years, that if I remain motionless long enough I actually become a vegetable platter.
But, it wasn't always that way for me. Up until the age of ten, I had hearing within normal range. I was spunky and bold and made my first movie on an old Minolta auto-pak 8 D-6 super 8 silent movie camera, using the camp rat pack for actors. 

 Campfire time meant live theater and often I would use that same troupe for singing skits and The Beatles tribute band.  
It was like breathing fresh air every time I went out. 

To the dismay of my adopted family, Lord , love a singing parrot, I would not shut up! Ha! I copied every sound I heard, imitating everything from a kitten to a whistling teapot. 
No one understood why. 
Genetic memory could be the valid scientific explanation.
 As a child I had a tiny innate access to the vast syntax and rules of music and language despite the increasing disability that took hold of me by the time I was a teenager.
 After much research, I found that my birth family's history is rich in musical talent. My grandfather was a big band leader, my uncle a fiddle player in Texas, my father a  lyricist and current resident of the famous alien crash site, Roswell. 
I have only met one of them, my father, Douglas, who is also a character actor in his spare time. He is also deaf. 

I have since learned, after a long awaited trip to explore my family history, that I have two brothers and a sister who suffer from the same genetic disorder of early onset, nerve damage, hearing loss.

As far as I know though, I am the only one who attempts to sing.
 Many are thankful for that. One is bad enough.
   
Thanks for stopping by!!

        
               

No comments:

Post a Comment