Sunday, July 19, 2015

Education of a forgotten soul


Today I need to briefly mention again that written English is not the first language of the deaf, sign language is. 
I can understand some of the confusion as I was quite confused up until five years ago. 
I, by no means, can  begin to comprehend what it must feel like to be born full deaf, so I therefore  lack expertise on these matters, but, I do know that my deaf friends struggle with the construction of written sentence. Reading is also challenging for them since, as far as I know, there aren't any book written in ASL.
 ASL does not transfer over to English, plain and simple. 
The language of the deaf is quite effective all on it's own. Think of the way many of you make use of the middle finger. It gets the message across quite clearly in one simple gesture!

 
 Many of you have asked since I did not begin to lose my hearing until ten why would I struggle with written language?
          
         Timing and location, location, location! 


What do I mean by that? Well, as many of you know, I was adopted, so, there was little indication to prepare for such a thing. 
Although, I was born in Hollywood and raised in surrounding areas, I lived ten years in a celebrity destination point about two hours outside of Los Angeles, California.  The rural school districts at that time, and even most now, are not equipped to handle hearing impaired students. When I begin to show signs of struggle, mainly from not being able to comprehend or process information, I was put in many "one size fits all" special education classrooms with  teachers who just did not have that kind of time for me and were probably unaware that it was my hearing causing the problems. 
I am sure if my parents had picked up on this earlier I would have been sent to a deaf school in the big city to learn ASL. 


I am what I like to call an in-betweener, and no, not the British sitcom, or a teenage subgroup, but, rather I am neither full deaf, nor am I able to function effectively as a hearing person. I often carry a notepad with me everywhere I go because, although of the ADA ( American Disability Act) my rights are protected, I am often frowned upon in most establishments since an interpreter can't just be called in. Believe me, I am just as exasperated as they are! 
So, why don't I learn sign language? Well, I have been, but, one must keep in mind that the full deaf have been taught sign and deaf culture straight out of the womb! It takes years to become quite efficient and even then it does not cover all of the different regions and the "street language". 
Do I read lips? Well, yes and no, It is an art not a science~ha! 


And, lip reading is exhausting! 
Most people who meet me in a close up and personal, one -on- one situation, are unaware even of any impairment, but, a crowded room can have me spinning in circles! 

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment